Little disappointments #1: Outlast 2

By the tittle you may have guessed that in the videogame's world not everything is a path of roses.
Sometimes, they're rotten:

Outlast 2



SCORE: 2.5 CROQUETTES!

It hurts to give this game such a high score but, oh well, after all, it accomplishes its purpose. It gives you the chills, I'll recognize that.
Despite having pretty good references, it's a very lazy game that takes the easy path to scare the player. They abuse of the jumpscares and it's all choreographied, it makes you do exactly what the game designers wanted. It doesn't matter if the enemy is hundreds of kilometres away, if you trigger a script, it'll teleport.

Great graphics, fuck, it does have them, but that won't give it any points.


It's not at all original, for example, it's got the typical mission of the elevator/door (obstacle) and having to restore the energy.

It's very repetitive, it barely has three mecanics: run, hide and record. Not very well used.

Very cliché story that develops with little interest through extremely boring notes and letters that could've easily been written by a fucking otaco 14 years old kid in-between jerk-offs.

You arrive to a  village where all the population are zombies, they want to end you and follow one of them as if he was  God. Wait, are we still talking about the Outlast 2?

Just in case there were any doubts left: Resident Evil 4. By 2005, the japanese had already discovered that there are mariachis in Spain(?).
Little dissapointments is a series of micro-analysis of videogames that I never got to finish because it wasn't worth the waste of time.
I'm a big fan of the terror genre. The main reason is that I like hard games. Lately, I've noticed that I barely die in videogames and, despite increasing the difficulty, all I get is enemies with longer lifes and unnecessarily lenghtened fights. In other words, it's not gratifying at all.

Then this genre arrives and makes me think about wether I cross a door or not. My hands shake. The hindering controls make me tense 'cause I know I can't sprint, my weapon reloads slowly or maybe I just can't shoot at all. It's an unexplored genre for me and it demands more of me. Besides, I tend to like the setting.

All this is why I get excited everytime a new game is launched, but I'm also doubtful, scared of being disappointed.
(Little item: why do all indie studios make "psychological terror" videogames lately? I have nothing against this type of terror, in fact, it's my favourite, but barely a 10% of these videogames actually get me scared. The rest of them are linear corridor games where you're awaiting jumpscares. They are beautiful, like Layers of fear, but without any difficulty. There is just too many videogames' launchings and it's frustrating).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hellblade, review.

Resident Evil 7, review

Atomic Blonde, to hell with women power.